Thursday, May 21, 2009

You say what huh?

We were driving past West Coast when we saw this banner outside Tanglin Secondary School. "Tanglin welcomes you!" or something like that. When I saw this, I started thinking, "'Welcome' got 's" one meh?" I've just checked the dictionary and although "welcome" is a verb, it doesn't have the normal singular and plural form. There is no "s". So embarrassing! A secondary school making that mistake in a huge banner that is facing the road.

Actually, there are many English mistakes I've spotted in print and during conversations. I am not saying that I am a Guru in English and I can't speak English fluently either. But those mistakes are just so glaring that I couldn't ignore it.

The following mistakes are made by many people and I am not aiming at anybody.

1) "Welcome" has no "s".

2) "Couple" means 2. Do not use "a couple of days" when you mean more than 2 days.

3) "Either" can only be used between 2 choices.

4) "Sort of" is not pronounced as "short of". These are 2 different words with different meanings.

5) "Touchy" means sensitive. "My friend is very touchy". This means that my friend gets irritated easily. It doesn't mean that my friend likes to touch people.

6) It's "take off your clothes", not "take of your clothes".

7) "Taught" is the past tense of "teach". "Thought" is the past tense of "think". 2 different words.

Ok, think that's all for now. Finally can get some off my chest. =P Now, you can go and aim your friends. Haha!

No comments: