Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Taiwan Trip Day 2 Kaohsiung - Kenting

Day 2 started at around 530am. It started with us jolted awake by loud raucous laughter and conversations right outside our door. Damn those China tourists, behaving like it was mid-afternoon and that they own the hotel.



We made an appointment at 1030am with a cab driver called Zhang 大哥 to drive us to Kenting. On the way there, he kept selling us his service, saying that he could bring us around Kenting and Kaohsiung. He even brought us to buy some famous 耦糕 (Ou Guey) for lunch.






And it was super delicious!! The yam was really chewy, or what Taiwanese called, "Q" and the dried shrimp, meat and sauce added many flavours to the otherwise plain dish. I really crave for this after I came back.


Zhang 大哥 also brought us to a Minsu to buy our water activities package. According to him, the Minsu offers the cheapest package around which was true from what we observed in the latter part of the day. Our original plan was to ride bicycles around Kenting but it was dashed when the Minsu boss showed us a map of Kenting with many gradients and steep slopes. Moreover, their bicycles have no gears. -_-".. We then decided to keep our plans on hold.


We reached our hotel, Kenting Toong Mao Gao Shang Ching Hotel, at around afternoon. Seriously, all the Minsus that we stayed in can beat the hotels hands down in terms of design, comfort level, television sizes and services.


So plain.


We went for the water activities in the afternoon. We went snorkelling and rode on the banana boat. The snorkelling part was rather shitty for me. First, we had to wear the sexy, figure-hugging wet suit. Then, the stupid breathing tube was too loose for me and I could not stop water from seeping into my mouth no matter how hard I bit the tube. To prove my effort in bitting the stupid tube, my cheek was sore for the next few days. So, I didn't enjoy the snorkelling bit except for the going to the shore part because I managed to change my mask. Seriously, the whole time I was trying to bite harder, to stop water from going into our mouth, to breathe...., that I couldn't concentrate on what I was seeing. Sucks.

On the other hand, the banana boat was fun!



The disgusting wet suits.




After the water activities.


Before heading back to the hotel, we bought Salmon sashimi from the fishing port! Yums! And it was super cheap! Only 100NT (~$5)!








Then, we hit the Kenting Night Market. Our hotel is situated right at the start/end of the night market. I love the Night Market!! It is one whole stretch of road filled with many stalls selling all kinds of food.






We wanted to try soooo many things. 关东煮,卤味,木瓜牛奶,双淇淋,etc. In the end, we bought the 卤味 because many students were queuing for it.






And it was worth the wait!! Super super tasty!! Don't be fooled by the appearance, I know it looked like a plastic bag of vomit. The little items inside had fully absorbed the gravy especially the radish. This is one dish that PX and I kept reminising about after we came back.





Lastly, our haul of the day! The two toys tickled us so much that we bought them without much thought.







*Things that amaze/surprise/shock/disturb me*

~There are some Taiwanese who thought Singapore as part of Malaysia

~Kenting has many many nice slippers!

~You can spot little children running along the roads despite the traffic. Never happened in Singapore.

**************************************


No comments: