Wednesday, August 11, 2010

One Day In My Sleepy Estate...

It all started when I saw a sign put up yesterday. Determined to be part of it and to show a bit of love, I decided that, "Yes, I will sacrifice some of sleep!"


So today, I woke up at 830am despite sleeping at 3am. I dragged myself to get freshen up and by 930am, I was ready to go. Mummy decided to join me too!


We walked to our traffic junction and saw no one waiting in sight. A little disappointed and worried, we were afraid that we were on the wrong side of the road, we decided to wait and see what happened.



Slowly, people started to trickle in. A school of young preschoolers also appeared, carrying purple and orange poms-poms and musical instrument, showing their best spirit.







Then, several Traffic Police officers arrived on their bikes. We could feel the excitement mounting in the air.





Suddenly, the preschoolers started cheering and a red bus appeared round the corner.






Then, came the blue bus.






And then.... We could see it! A man in an orange YOG T-shirt, bearing the Olympic torch, running before us! That was the moment we had been waiting for!







It only hit me afterwards that "Hey, THAT is the OLYMPICS FLAME!" Legend said that that flame is the same flame that has been burning in Greece since the first Olympics! However, that is not the reason that I was so happy and honoured to see that flame. The reason that I was thrilled was because this flame, passing through our tiny island, signifies that we have come a long way from our Kampong days. Who says that our country is like a piece of 鼻屎 or snot, on the map? Who says that we are just a little dot in the world? Now, eat your words! This little piece of snot or dot has done what the others cannot do! The world will know about us (hopefully)! No more explaining that, "No, we are not part of Malaysia or China." I am so proud of my country. =)


The flame was then passed on to another torch bearer.






Off it went, continuing its journey around Singapore.



And there it was, a 5-minutes bit of excitement in my sleepy estate. =)



********************************

No comments: