Sunday, January 16, 2011

Occupational Hazard

On Friday, I got into a quarrel with a stranger on the streets for the first time. I was paying for my groceries at a shop when this woman pushed me. I ignored her at first. She then proceeded to dump her groceries on the cashier table, nearly crushing my packets of fruit which were still on the table. I was a little irritated by her already.

Then as I left the shop, I stood at the doorway for a moment as there were many people stuck at the doorway. Suddenly, somebody pushed me away and said, "走开! (Go away!)" It was that woman! The next thing I know, I was telling that woman, "没礼貌! (You're rude!)" (Feels like I was scolding a Primary school kid)

Upon hearing that, she immediately turned around and started yelling at me! She complained that she was behind me for a long time. Hello! I do not have eyes behind my back! The more decent thing to do would be to say, "Excuse me" and I would immediately make space for her to leave. And that was what I told her. Did that shut her up? No. She then went into a long history of how Singaporeans behave and some other stuffs. I can't really remember what she said because she was screaming all the time incoherently.

My mum quickly came and pulled me away. I was also quite scared because she was taller and fatter than me. I do not wish to be beaten into a pulp. As we were walking away, she was still shrieking her head off! Crazy bit*h!

My dad told me off after that. He said that one day I will get myself into deep trouble. But I feel that we should stand up to injustice. By remaining silent, we are condoning those selfish and rude acts. If all of us can open our eyes and ears wide, I believe that the social conscience of the people will go up, making this a better society. Everybody has a part in educating the public. Well, that's my two cents worth of view.

Do you agree that I am in the right when I chided the woman?

No comments: