Monday, March 17, 2008

Donation

I am finally blogging again.. It has been a HECTIC two weeks with all the deadlines and the presentations back to back. I am pretty impressed with myself given my lazy nature. All my assignments are done at the last minute and I managed to complete it. I don't know about the quality though.. *Sad smile* I am so discouraged already I guess it doesn't make a difference anymore.

Anyway, I thought about blogging happy things after my long "break" from blogging. However, I want to blog about this incident that makes me pissed off. Though it is not really my business. It just irritated the kaypo and bossy side of me.

There is a girl in my school who needs a bone marrow transplant. The school posted the message on the school's portal and some of the professors have been emailing the different clubs to get them to find people who are willing to donate their bone marrow. I have received such a email from one of the professors and I was quite angry when I saw this sentence in the email.

"All it would take is for you to donate a blood sample on the days indicated below."

Really???? That's all it would take? That means a blood sample is enough to save the girl's life??

I think that it is so irresponsible for the prof to say that! This is of no joking matter. People will go with the misconception that a blood sample will do, although I don't believe someone will be that stupid. They should go with the mentality that they MAY HAVE TO DONATE THEIR BONE MARROW.

What if someone goes without thinking through and the test shows that he is eligible to donate to the girl. The girl and her family's hopes will be raised. And then, he decides not to donate because "I never thought that out of some many people, I am eligible. I was just there the other day to give a blood sample." That what will happen to the poor girl?? Raise her hopes and then smash it??

I like to think of consequences when I do certain things. Obviously, some people don't. This is not a drive to "collect the most number of blood samples". This is a drive "to search for eligible blood marrow donors". Some people got their objectives wrong.

No comments: