Monday, May 26, 2008

Sze Chuan's Earthquake

I've been wanting to blog about the Sze Chuan's earthquake for quite some time but never really got down to it. I guess a part of me do not want to put down this depressing post to remind me of this incident in the future.

On the 12th of May 2008, there was a major earthquake in China Sze Chuan which caused the deaths of 70 000 people , many more injured and millions of broken dreams and hearts. The things that struck me most was the deaths of soooo many school children. Being a teacher myself, I was horrified and saddened by this fact. They were just little boys and girls and to see their little bodies crushed by the school buildings really made me cried. They were in school! School is supposed to be a very safe place where little children study to pave their way to a good future. In the end, the children died in that "safe haven". What an irony...

When I saw pictures of parents crying over their dead children, I could not help but cry. In a country where the law only allow "single child per family", I can imagine the pain the parents felt when their only child is dead. Moreover, their children died in such an abrupt and painful death. There wasn't even enough time to say "goodbye".

This incident revive in me the reason why I want to teach. I want to teach because I want to protect the children. I want to protect them from falling into bad company. I want to protect them from falling into poverty. I want to protect them from being cheated. I want to protect them so that they will learn to protect their loved ones.

It is quite sad to think that I have forgotten about all this in the midst of chasing after good results. Now, I can look back at this post and remind myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my sister had the exact same sentiments as you, well not exactly the same, but she did feel alot for the school kids as well. perhaps her being a teacher and mother, she could relate to this even more.
anyway i am glad you are passionate about your teaching now. hope it stays that way for a long time to come! :)