Sunday, December 16, 2007

One Fulfilling Day

Finally, my GESL project is halfway done. The actual camp took place yesterday in a Children's Home and I am glad to say I had fun! At the initial planning of the projects, there were a lot of hiccups and problems. My friends called my group "the most happening group" because we always quarrelled during our meetings. *laughs* Once, we even ended up in a shouting match. It is like reality tv.

Anyway, I am glad the camp was successful. I do not think that we have even out our differences because there are just too many strong characters in my group. However, I am thankful that we are getting better in swallowing our temper and ignoring whoever is irritating us.

Anyway, back to the camp! At first, we only ask for ages 10-12 children but in the end, we have children from 6 years old to 15 years old! It is a challenge because the 15 years old do not like to mingle with the really young ones and the really young ones do not understand complex instructions. I am glad I manage to juggle the differences and my group came in 2nd at the end of the day!! YEAH!

What really touched me was what happened when I gave out the prizes. As we are running on a budget, the prizes are really cheap. We packed tidbits from Sheng Siong into little party bags and they only cost a mere $10 for the 2nd prize. But the children were sooooo HAPPY! I could see that they really liked the prize! After teaching in my ex-contract school, I have already forgotten what type of prizes I like as a child. If I gave out these prizes in my school, I think my students will not be as happy as the children in the Home. This is something unexpected and it really hit me hard. When people are poor, little gifts and help is enough to make them happy. When people are rich, they are never sastify with little gifts as they feel that they deserve more. Thus, they will want more and more. In the end, they will never be happy in their quest for "more". Do you agree?

Something to ponder...

***************************************************

My Team's Cheer:

Me: Robots in shorts
Children: Transformers!

*This cheer was thought of by a P5 boy. Damn smart guy! I am IMPRESSED.

S-U-P-E-R
SUPER that's what we are
S-U-P-E-R
SUPER that's what we are
SUPER SUPER
*3 Claps
SUPER SUPER
*3 Claps
Go....... Transformers!

*Simplify for the 6 years old. =)

No comments: